Knee Pain Relief Q&A
What causes knee pain?
The chiropractors at Virginia Family Chiropractic treat patients with knee pain regularly. Knee pain is a common problem which can be a result of an injury to or deterioration of the ligaments and cartilage of the knee. Knee pain is typically divided into three common categories: Acute injury, Medical conditions, and Chronic use/overuse conditions.
Acute injuries can include:
- Ligament injuries such as an ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) injury
- Meniscus injuries where the shock-absorbing cartilage is injured
- Dislocation of the joint
Medical conditions can include:
- Rheumatoid arthritis which affects the joints
- Gout arthritis
- Septic arthritis where the knee joint is infected
Chronic Use/Overuse conditions include:
- Patellar tendinitis is inflammation of the tendons connecting the kneecap to the lower leg
- Osteoarthritis caused by use and age
When should I seek chiropractic treatment for knee pain?
Any pain which is not getting better with rest within a few days should be evaluated by the doctor. In addition, if any of the symptoms listed below are present, the doctor an appointment should be made as soon as possible for assessment and treatment:
- Cannot bend the joint
- Cannot walk without discomfort or cannot walk at all
- Extreme pain
How Can the Chiropractor Help?
Dr. Hatam and his colleagues at Virginia Family Chiropractic will evaluate the patient’s posture and gather information regarding the symptoms and discomfort. Using this information, the chiropractor will design a personalized exercise and manual manipulation program created to correct the patient’s specific issues. Treatment may include stretching and strengthening exercises to improve circulation, reduce inflammation, and improve range of motion in the joint as well as massage aimed at releasing tension in muscles and other soft tissues. In some cases, custom orthotics or bracing may be prescribed to support the knee joint during healing. If you have knee pain, you should make an appointment with Virginia Family Chiropractic today.